Skiing in Andorra’s best resorts: Grandvalira
Andorra has some of Europe’s best ski resorts. If you are wondering where to ski in Andorra, look no further. Skiing is the top sport in Grandvalira, which is the largest ski area in the Pyrenees. Other winter sports such as snowboarding or freeriding are also popular at Grandvalira.
Granvalira: where skiing becomes monumental!
Skiing in one of Andorra’s best ski resorts
The Grandvalira ski area is the largest in the Pyrenees and is comprised of of 6 interconnected sections - Pas de la Casa, Grau Roig, Soldeu, El Tarter, Encamp and Canillo. If you are planning to ski in Andorra, here are Grandvalira’s main features:
- 130 mi (210 km) of slopes
- Almost 128 trails between 5,610 ft (1,710 m) and 8,661 ft (2,640 m) in elevation
- More than 60 ski lifts
- 3 snowparks and a school dedicated to Freeskiing
- Many Freeride trails, including those in El Tarter, Pic Blanc and Grau Roig,
- Significant natural snowfall accompanied by a thousand snow guns covering 65% of the ski area
- Grandvalira offers many winter activities: snowshoes, sleds, mushing, etc.
The resort now accommodates more than 100,000 skiers per hour, which means that the long wait for ski lifts is over!
For the little ones
Grandvalira ski resort was designed with family fun in mind. It has ski areas - like Mont Magic located in Canillo - that were specifically created for the wee ones in the family. Several themed trails weave through the forests where young skiers go in search of mythical creatures such as fairies and elves, some of which are automated! The tunnels and snow slides will leave your children with unforgettable memories.
There is a mini snowpark located in Grau Roig’s Snow Garden where children can learn Freeskiing with the help of qualified instructors in an atmosphere that will help improve their skills. Grandvalira ski resort has everything for a successful ski holiday in Andorra!
For the grown ups!
The Grandvalira ski area has several Freeride schools and 3 snowparks dedicated to this trending sport:
- Sunset Park in Peretol: a place that is very popular with experienced freeskiers who rush down handrails and ramps. These sections are lit at night so that you can shred powder late in the evening!
- The Snowpark in El Tarter: a Mecca for skiing in Andorra. It was created for experienced skiers. They have several kickers, modular stairs and boxes that require a high level of mastery! The course with 5 big jumps is guaranteed to thrill you. It should be noted that international competitions are held here regularly.
- The Snowpark Xavi: a magnificent wooded area that includes intermediate ramps ideal for improving your technique.
Activities that are very close to the Grandvalira ski resort
Le Palau de Gel in Canillo
The Palau de Gel in Canillo is located right next to the Grandvalira ski area and offers various activities for people of all ages. Its main infrastructure includes an Olympic ice rink covering an area of 19,375 ft² (1,800 m²). It is equipped for hockey, figure skating, ice karting and curling.
Relaxation, games and rejuvenation in Caldea
After skiing in the incredible Grandvalira ski area, one of Andorra’s best ski resorts, you can pamper your body, mind and muscles in Caldea’s Thermoludic Space. Located in Escaldes Engordany, a city that borders the capital, Andorra la Vella, this is the ideal place for a personalized spa experience and an invigorating wellness break. Skiing in Grandvalira delights the little ones, don’t worry your children won’t be bored in this perfect après-ski spa as it also offers facilities that will enchant and mesmerize children. There is even a children only spa called Likids. It is approximately 18 miles (30 km) and 45 minutes by car to get from Pas de la Casa to the spa.
Other ski areas and ski resorts in Andorra
La Rabassa and Vallnord!
La Rabassa ski area - south of Andorra la Vella
Located in the south of the country, near the Spanish border, Andorra’s La Rabassa resort merges with the Naturlandia adventure park in the parish of Sant Julià de Lòria. Emerse yourself in nature by skiing in Andorra amidst the fir trees and the magnificent forest and relish in the breath-taking views that can be enjoyed from their cross-country and Nordic ski trails!
Vallnord: Skiing in Andorra’s stunning landscapes for the ultimate experience!
The Vallnord ski area (39 mi / 63 km of trails) should definitely be on your list of the best ski resorts in Andorra. This ski area consists of 2 resorts - Pal and Arinsal - that are connected by a gondola. Vallnord also encompasses the Ordino ski resort. A special ski pass allows you to ski in Andorra in both of these areas, which are very famous for their high elevations and significant snow cover.